Monday, July 20, 2015

Viagem Solo

I wanted somewhere new. I wanted an adventure. So I decided that for my first truly solo trip- on my own to somewhere entirely new- I'd go surfing in Portugal.

I decided on Antelejo because it's off the beaten path. The only tourists here are Portuguese...and the occasional Swede or Dutchman. Rolling into town you get that instant sleepy beach town vibe: shorts and flip flops clacking under sandy feet, wild salty curls, and white washed buildings under three stories that dapple the hills above the sea.

I had thought to go to Spain. But when I friend mentioned the great surfing in Portugal, I frantically looked for where to go. I have no idea if I've made the right call. But here's the thing- I kind of don't care. If I want to stay here longer, I can; if I want to head back to Lisbon sooner, I can. Isn't that something?

My first act as a solo traveler in town was to hit up the gelataria. You know a place is good if it's packed at 6pm. Pudim, or flan flavored gelato was something of a revelation. I finished it in 30 seconds. 


Upon my arrival at camp- a large villa built around a pool with lime and avocado trees decorating the perimeter- I met an Albanina girl, three Swedes, a British gilt and a few Portuguese. Within fifteen minutes I was invited to dinner where we ate fresh fish and this:
A giant f@cking shrimp- a camaron gigante- I was told to eat my face off in Portugal, so I'm up for it.
We are heading off for our morning surf now...I'll report back shortly.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you and can't read about all of your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete