Wednesday, July 8, 2015

London vs NYC: Parallels of two cities.

The day I arrived in London was the hottest of the year-95 degrees. And the subsequent days have been unusually warm as well. Typical for NYC in July, atypical for London. The tube was hot, the air stifling, being indoors offered no respite, as a working AC is a rarity. So I've learned a lot:
For one, since I've been staying in Highbury, I've learned that the overground rail (yeah, there's an above ground mode of transport other than the buses, who knew?) is air conditioned and rarely crowded. Take it. Though it offers no help in the way of smells- deodorant isn't a prerequisite to leaving the house, but being able to breathe while traveling is a nice alternative...even if it's not through your nose.
Another thing I've learned: underground workers are not happy and they can, and have, gone on strike. The difference here  is that it's for two days- apparently the workers aren't happy about the underground being turned into a late night transit option. So unlike the NYC transit strike that lasted weeks in mid-February of 2005, a closure of 24-48 hours seems quite managable for me...though not entirely convenient for the 3+ million people who are forced to figure out a new way to get home tonight.

Day drinking. Day drinking is not a weekend pastime here. It's a way of life, an art form even. Every bar is filled. If the weather is nice, which it has been, so people pour out onto the streets by their local pubs brews in hand, and practice their art. No hour is too early, though since the city practically shuts down at midnight, there is a finish line.

Laundry. Everyone has a washer/dryer, but these all in one machines don't really dry all that well. Where are the fluff and folds?!

Distances. You have my permission to hit the next person who complains about how far Brooklyn is from their Manhattan location. The distances in London, plus population concentration makes LA seem easy and NYC a joke. I'm switching residences this evening to Fulham- well within the city limits, and I will be lucky if the ride takes me less than 45 minutes by car. And yes I know I've just extolled the virtues of above ground transit- but I've got suitcases, so that's just not happening, AC or not.

Parallels. Finally, I've found my local parallel:
I found London's Love Lane!!
I was heading back from Barbican and stumbled upon it. It's surrounded by a lovely garden, though in no way is it residential. So it's quite different from my Love Lane:
That's all I've got for now. That, and the Sauviginon Blanc I have in hand at a local Highbury pub...don't judge...I'm trying to blend in.


No comments:

Post a Comment